Friday, December 14, 2012

Act lV. Theme of The Crucible

In act lv. of the crucible, to die for what they believe, is better than to live lying for what they believe. Page 125, Elizabeth Procter informs her husband, John, of Giles's treacherous death. She states, "Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or bye. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died." Giles Corey refused to give the name of the man who wrote of Mr. Putnam trying to steal people's land. Giles knew if he give the mans name, that man would be arrested and accused of witchcraft, as did Giles wife, Martha. Giles was a strong, brave man, dying for his beliefs, as for the mans name. On page 133, Giles last two words seem to sink deep into Procter's soul, sorrowing "because it is my name! because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!" Procter soon realizes he is nonexistent compared to those that hang; a coward who hides behind lies. Procter then appears out from behind all the lies he has lived, committing to his beliefs; "he have his goodness now. God forbid anyone take it from him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment