Friday, February 8, 2013

"If I Stay" By: Gayle Forman

Gayle Forman's marvelous book "If I Stay" left my heart in tears from the horrid details and depressing but unique thoughts.
 
"If I Stay" prevails readers of life, death, family, and so much more to understand. The theme shows an ordinary teenager's life that literally crashes before their eyes, teaching that life is a mystery book, you never know what will happen.

Gayle's style is almost too real, she writes as if the situation actually happened, as if Mia a real person. She continues the characters thought and emotions as though they are absoluting thinking the thoughts and feeling the emotions, additionally summating the same thoughts or feelings to the readers instinct.

Mia is a quiet high school student who makes good enough grades, plays the cello, loves classical music, and has a wonderful family. Her fun, ex-rocker parents still retain enough of their music loving ways to still be “cool” and her adorable little brother, Teddy, may be bratty but adores his big sister with all of his heart. Mia's "Mom always said that it was because Teddy saw me first, and because I cut his cord, that somewhere deep down he thought I was his mother. “It’s like those goslings,” Mom joked. “Imprinting on a zoologist, not the mama goose, because he was the first one they saw when they hatched.”
Mia is also dating the popular high school rock star, Adam, who is her complete opposite and of course, there are some issues with that. But they are beautiful together, Adam does not care that Mia has different interests than him. Adam shows his careness when he tels Mia, “… the you who you are tonight is the same you I was in love with yesterday, the same you I’ll be in love with tomorrow. I love that you’re fragile and tough, quiet and kick-ass. Hell, you’re one of the punkest girls I know, no matter who you listen to or what you wear.”

The setting mostly takes place in the hospital, where Mia's body is actually located however; the book all starts with the crash, with all four of the family members in the car, Mia stanking on the road side staring down at her mother, her father, no sign of Teddy and herself, in the cold wet ditch, which leads to the biggest decision of Mia's life, Should she go with her parents? Or should she go with Teddy?

I can connect with this book for I too have lost family members greatly dear to me, connecting to every person in the world for they have all lost someone in their life.

If I were whomever recommends book, this book would forever be a top seller. I definatly recommend "If I Stay"! Read this book to find out whether Mia will stay with her parents, or stay with Teddie.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment